5.18.2011

Currently Reading: Walcott


I haven't posted on a lot of the books I've been reading this quarter, mostly because I'm taking colonial literature and Milton and that's not so entertaining. But I thought I would come back and mention one of the most beautiful books I've read, Omeros by Derek Walcott. It's actually more like an epic poem and its verse is just stunning. The majority of the imagery and metaphors are nautical, bringing back warm memories of the beach and sun.


For example,
"I saw how the surf printed its lace in patterns
on the shore of her neck, then the lowering shallows
of silk swirled at her ankles, like surf without noise,
and felt that another cold bust, not hers, but yours
saw this with stone almond eyes, its broken nose
turning away, as the rustling silk agrees."

Have you ever heard sex described so effortlessly? It's almost like a vintage dream.

The poem mostly settles on the issue of rising tourism in the Caribbean, taking over the original way of the island. The describe the tourists as trying to take the souls of the locals with their cameras and revolving around the beach as they grilled their backs in their noon barbecue. 

My favorite part is that our hero becomes the island of St. Lucia herself and as one of our characters comes to find out, "the nearer home, the deeper our fears increase, that no house might come to meet us on our shore." The nostalgia for home is perfectly conveyed here, longing for a place that should always remain how it is. Because although tourism is important, it also allows history to escape.

This book reminded me so much of my hometown and how I hope the surf and beaches always remain in their maintained condition. Although my town has been supplemented with other tourist attractions, our greatest one remains on the very edge--a coast immeasurable for its powers. Maybe its not the Caribbean, but it's definitely my own piece of paradise. 






Omeros is featured in my Amazon carousal of favorites :)

Also these photos are my own so they need to be credited if used! They do have an online copyright so make sure you do so, thanks!