5.11.2011

A Memory Lane Named Solvang


Just finished uploading my photos from Mother's Day. My dad and I took my mom to Solvang to visit my favorite book store, The Book Loft, indulge in Danish pastries, and capture the character of the town. We turned off the 101 North and took the Old Highway, originally the only two-lane road up the coast. It was adorned with wild flowers along either side and grazing horses and cows on the surrounding hills.

First we stopped at this organic food barn where you simply drop a few dollars into a wood box and take home any of the fresh vegetables available. You can also pick your own strawberries here! I absolutely loved the honor system as this barn, you definitely don't see that anymore.









Once we arrived in Solvang, we went straight to the Book Loft since I was eager to check out the Hans Christian Andersen museum after having had a class on him at school. Those pictures will be in a separate post :) But the charm of Solvang is captivating. My family is Swedish so we love scouting out our heritage in this Scandinavian, but mostly Danish, town. Such easy living up here, it was a perfect day. We ate at The Mustard Seed, grabbed fresh licorice and gummy bears at a candy shop, took in some wine tasting, and scouted out the Solvang Brewing Company.






Next we headed back to a local park where families were spending the sunny day BBQing and playing games. At the back of the park there is a short and easy walk to a stunning waterfall. This was definitely my mom's favorite part of the day, she opened her cards and present (Vera Wang tote!) up there.



Can you see me? :) Normally the waterfall has more water but I think the separated three streams just might have been even more beautiful!

I hope everyone had a gorgeous weekend and if you're ever in the mood for some European scenery and desserts, Solvang is the place to be!

These pictures are all my own, so please credit accordingly if you use them :) Thanks!