5.07.2011

Taste-making since 1937


After seeing her character on Factory Girl for years, I finally gave into my historic cravings and looked up the iconic character of editor Diana Vreeland. Little did I know it would lead me to purchase of her autobiography on Amazon 10 minutes ago.  As a writer and fashion columnist for the Harper's Bazaar and Vogue, Vreeland's reign is inspiring. She even went on to become the Costume Institute's fashion consultant. The New York Times defines her foremost as our "taste-maker," a title I envy and love. She really did determine her generation's spectrum of good and bad taste. Her personal life, alongside the professional, was dramatic and passionate--reflective personalities of the world she saw. Here are a few of my favorite quotes by this legend who shaped fashion and publications in the most severe way, as well as my own take on them.






"Blue jeans are the most elegant things since the gondola." 
I could not agree more. And to think how far jeans have come since the 60's and 70's. Jeans have become so chic and have actually quite strayed from their blue hue. Dark and black demin have added elegance to the effortless everyday outfit. Blue jeans may not be my first thought alongside Venice's gondolas, but the right pair can definitely tailor any stroll on the street.






"I loathe narcissism, but I approve of vanity." 
We all know when we look good, just don't brag about it. Plain and simple.






"The only real elegance is in the mind; if you've got that, the rest really comes from it." 
Your state of mind determines your character and the way you present yourself. Maintain poise and you will maintain positive attention. I can't tell you how tragic it is when a beautiful person opens their mouth and ruins their image.


And my absolute favorite concerning magazine publication: "to-day only personality counts . . . I do not believe we should put in [the magazine] so-called society, as it is démodé and practically doesn't exist . . . but ravishing personalities are the most riveting things in the world -- conversation, people's interests, the atmosphere that they create round them -- these are the things that I feel are worth putting in any issue." Magazines are a lifestyle. You read what you believe in and dream about. And that being said, read the content. Pictures may say 1,000 words but 1,000 words provoke 10,000 thoughts. (I'm bias, I know).

Here's my upcoming read: