7.14.2011

Abroad & Below: Time For A Fika


June 30th

“Over 95% of Swedes bring their own coffee with them when they travel,” Katarina says. Now I know why. Pouring about 5 cups each day, Swedish coffee has quickly become an addiction. My Nordic Literature professor at school was actually Danish and he introduced himself as affluent coffee drinker to each class. He always said that Americans would warn him not to drink too much coffee, or none at night, and even when he tried to listen to their advice, he realized it made no difference. Coffee was a custom and he didn’t feel the same about life without it. Little did I know at the time that all Nordic people must feel the same way.

Swedish coffee is much stronger than our own. And while I usually add half&half into mine, their coffee is so tasteful I don’t want to add anything to it. Paired with a Swedish cinnomen roll, which I “indulge” in quite frequently as well, Swedish coffee far surpasses the watered-down substitution we brew back in the States. Now I know why my farmor always complained at restaurants. She would often bring her own thermos to restaurants—a sign of its incomparability. I guess I should’ve known then but I can only say I am relieved to know now. First stop back in Los Angeles: Ikea.