1.23.2012

Chinese New Year

New Year's Round 2: Year of the Dragon

As Chinese holiday traditions include forgiving past conflicts, elaborate holiday feasts, and fireworks, I can't help but feel obligated to celebrate the new year.

2012 is the year of the dragon, meaning it's one of high risk and high return. The dragon is excited and the dragon is confident, both characteristics I look forward to embracing with the year's coming changes. This year I'll be graduating college, moving to a more permanent location, and trying to land a "real" job. I guess it's a good thing the year of the dragon is also known to be exceptionally lucky.

As per Chinese tradition, a lantern festival will be held in 15 days to end the New Year's celebration. The Chinese American Museum in Los Angeles is also throwing their annual local festival, so I'm determined to prepare a lantern by then! Like other lantern traditions, I want to write all my year's resolutions around the lantern and release it into the sky for good luck.

Happy Chinese New Year everyone!






Buy your lanterns here, they even come in colors!