12.29.2013

Donkeys Kick Ass


Today I rediscovered my deep love for donkeys.

I remember the first donkey I fell in love with. I was on a road trip with my parents and we visited Mark Twain's house. There was a donkey out front and he "hee-hawed" whenever I tried to stop petting him and walk away. The sweetest ass in the world.

On another trip in South Dakota, we were en route to Mount Rushmore when we came upon a road populated with burros. I remember dangling some licorice out the window and suddenly I had about 10 new best friends trying to stick their head into the back window of our car. Somewhere I have the funniest photo of one donkey trying to nom on some red vines. It was the highlight of my trip. (Sorry Washington, Jefferson, Roosevelt and Lincoln).

I've always heard that donkeys are first pick companions for horses but as I started to do my research, I have no reason to believe they wouldn't also be the perfect fit for any family. People love them, dogs love them. What's not to love?

Needless to say, I'd like to incorporate a little more donkey in my life. It will have to be through art for now, but someday I hope I have my own pair of "Honkey and Tonkey" donkeys (like Reese Witherspoon).