5.15.2014

A Dog's Day in Ojai


I spent last Sunday in sunny Ojai for Mother's Day. My mom and I decided it was the perfect destination for an afternoon of browsing shops and catching up over margaritas. Of course we brought along my own beloved "daughter" as well and thus had to do a quick online search of the dog friendly locations throughout Ojai.

We located a raving recommendation for Agave Maria's outdoor patio and decided it was the perfect spot with its close proximity to the shops and park. And it was. 2 baskets of chips, a blood orange margarita and a burrito later, we waddled along downtown.

Each time I take my dog somewhere with me, I remember just how much I love both Ventura and Santa Barbara counties. Every store is so friendly and I'm reminded that I am not the only one who values their dog as a shopping companion.

We walked downtown and through Libbey Park before making our final stop at Bart's Books, California's largest outdoor bookstore. I love browsing their classics section and my purchase was appropriately paired with free paper bookmark that read, "Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. --Groucho Marx."

If you're looking for a weekend trip or "staycation" with your dog, I highly recommend Ojai. There are several hikes and areas that are dog friendly, including nearby Lake Casitas. Even my dog would give it two paws up.